cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I download all my Dropbox files to have a local backup?

Can I download all my Dropbox files to have a local backup?

Matt Sheridan
New member | Level 2

Hey, all. I'd like to keep a local backup of everything I've got in the cloud. I've tried manually downloading stuff from Dropbox, but I keep hitting errors like "trying to zip too many files" or "trying to zip too much data". Is there a way to get a local copy of all my Dropbox files without a whole lot of manual downloading?

Or, alternatively, is it possible to get a mirror of my Dropbox content on a local drive? Basically the reverse of how Dropbox Backup is normally used?

Thanks for your time!

1 Reply 1

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Matt Sheridan, thanks for taking the time to post to the Dropbox Community.

If you have the Dropbox desktop app installed on your computer, you should already have a local copy of your Dropbox files on your hard drive.

With the desktop app, Dropbox creates a local Dropbox folder and syncs all your files to it, so any changes you make to your files online, will sync locally and vice versa.

This won't be a backup folder, but you can use it to create copies of your files in other locations for safekeeping, if you want.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?