cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing a list of folders/files hierarchy

Printing a list of folders/files hierarchy

SusanGSM
Explorer | Level 3

I would like to be able to create a directory that could be printed or put into a document that shows Folders and Sub Folders and files so I could do an overview of where I have duplicates or ways to streamline folders or  see how many different file and folder names are being used across my account and my teams account.  I'm actually surprised that is not available.   

Latest Update
Walter
Dropbox Staff
This idea is open. 

If you like this idea, please share how this would help you, and vote to show your support. 

Our top-voted ideas are shared with our product teams to investigate in our regular reviews.
Status changed to: Gathering Support
11 Comments
Walter
Dropbox Staff
This idea is open. 

If you like this idea, please share how this would help you, and vote to show your support. 

Our top-voted ideas are shared with our product teams to investigate in our regular reviews.
Status changed to: Gathering Support
shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

Export the file structure from dropbox, and showing access of who (or what groups) have access to the files within the structure.

This function would have saved me hours of having to type the folder tree manually so we could restructure our folders.

legalassistant
New member | Level 2

I know I am not the first one to suggest this, but you need to develop a way to create a table of contents or index of the files in a given folder. This is an incredibly important function for the businesses who use this platform as a way to share files. Especially with the increasing use of generative AI, this should be a capability of your site in the near future. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @shinbeth & @legalassistant - I've merged your posts under this idea as they both echoed the OP here.

Please feel free to take a look and up-vote it as well to show your interest in this. 

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

@Walter thank you. We really need this!

Cheers.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

@SusanGSM 

Yes I echo your request and someone else posted it a few weeks ago too (before they archived it and marked it as 'Solved' ... :/)

Meanwhile I'm going to try to build a script because you can usually do that in Terminal but visually it's hideous, since I have like 100'000 files and folders in my Dropbox I would probably need to be using Dropbox API Integration with Nodejs, Python and some HTML/CSS/React to create a nice looking webapp which would render a nice visualization of our Dropbox tree of Folders and Subfolders (+ files? and search? as an option?? what do you think)

I feel like programming it myself as small app or extension would be faster than Dropbox delivering it itself :)))

Keep you posted.

LFM
Explorer | Level 4

I would prefer output as a text file, with complete info (folder, subfolder) for each filename, along with creation date and size.  That would allow easy import into Excel or Word.

je551ca
New member | Level 2

Yes, please!  We are in desperate need for this.  We've been using Dropbox for years and need to (read: yesterday!) restructure our Dropbox files into a more user friend / systematic methodoloy & need to get a handle first on all the folders contained as well at the current file / tree structure.  help, help help!

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

@je551ca 

+1

VISA
Explorer | Level 3

The best 

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

14 votes received Status: Gathering Support