cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow hiding individual photos of folders from the Photos tab

Allow hiding individual photos of folders from the Photos tab

PhotosGal
New member | Level 2

The Photos Folder is not a useful tool if we are not able to decide what shows up there. I am using Dropbox to back up a Mac, so photos that are on my Mac are in those backups and also stored in other folders on Dropbox. Therefore, in the Photos Folder there are duplicate copies of each of those photos. I cannot delete either as they are on Dropbox for different purposes - one as a backup and one as part of my photo organization system in Dropbox. Without the ability to hide photos from my Photos Folder, I will need to find another way to organize my photos.

Latest Update
Nancy
Dropbox Staff

This idea is open.

If you like this idea, please share how this would help you, and vote to show your support.

Our top-voted ideas are shared with our product teams to investigate in our regular reviews.

Status changed to: Gathering Support
11 Comments
Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting your idea here, @PhotosGal!

I'd only like a clarification; you mention in the title that you’d like to hide individual photos or folders from the Photos tab. Can you please clarify what you mean by folders? 

In general, the Photos tab displays photos/videos that are saved on your Dropbox account, so there won’t be any folders showing there.

Let me know.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @PhotosGal, and sorry for the nudge. 

Did you check my previous post, by any chance? 

pdc1
New member | Level 2

I can see the value in being able to exclude certain folders from being shown in Photos if that is what the OP meant?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

This idea is open.

If you like this idea, please share how this would help you, and vote to show your support.

Our top-voted ideas are shared with our product teams to investigate in our regular reviews.

Status changed to: Gathering Support
AndrewA
Explorer | Level 4

I think the ability to be able to selectively view (or hide) certain photos from the “photo” tab on the main screen of the app is an excellent one.  While it may be useful to be able to see in one place all of the photos that are stored on one’s Dropbox account, there is something to be said to being able to choose more selectively what is being shown.  As stated, there may be images that one does not want to simply pop up in the photo tab—the ability to “hide” these (without necessarily deleting the images from the account) would be extremely valuable. 

ItalianStallion51
Helpful | Level 5

My family uses my account for photo and video backup, as well as file organization.  Unfortunately, random images always appear in the photos tab and my wife refuses to go to the Camera Upload folder to look at photos.  Examples of images that we cannot filter in the Photos tab no matter where on Dropbox they are stored: images taken for work, screenshots of random stuff, random downloads, travel itinerary snapshots, photos other people took that we downloaded from text or Messenger, images that contain confidential information, and the list goes on.  I would like to be able to move images out of the Camera Uploads folder and into folders that are not allowed to be tagged in the Photos tab.  The Photos tab should be only for what we designate to be everyday family photos and contain nothing we wouldn't want to share with other people.  Either give us the ability to control what shows up there, or allow us to shut off the tab altogether to reduce the chances of divulging personal or business confidential information, or even displaying random images that could be embarrassing.

I heard this used to be a feature.  Well, bring it back!  There was no good reason to remove it.  If you want our business, then meet our needs.  If you don't want our business, then we can, and certainly will, look elsewhere.  People have been complaining about this since at least 2018, and you still haven't done anything about it, even though the feature already exists?  That is not customer service.  That is blatant disregard for customer voice, and quite honestly, a disrespect for our hard-earned money.  Setting up a personal server is starting to sound better everyday.  The investment would pay itself back in about 2 years at the rate I am paying for Dropbox.  If you don't want a mass exodus of personal account users, then start serving our needs.

lucacapula
New member | Level 2

Dears, this used to be a feature and for some reason you removed it. If that wasn't already wild enough you are also disregarding thousand of idea suggestions and requests on your forum from other users like me.

Now. If that is the case and you do not care at all about feature suggestions, why are you making us waste our time in the first place? That fake sense of "your opinion matters" fell into the bs realm long ago for any internet user with some sense in their head.

Now to the feature. The main problem is that the photo tab at the moment is completely useless. The idea It's as simple as the subject suggest. 

For example, Nextcloud which I also use, let me create a file named ".nomedia" and have it saved in each folder that should not show its content under the Photo tab.

That is an extremely smart approach as it minimize the work on your side (no UI dev needed for example) and limit it to simply adding a control structure to the recursive algorithm you use when you check for updates in the folders. Sounds easy enough for me as a user and for you as a development company. How about that? It's a win win! It's even faster and cheaper than the time one of you guys from customer support will spend to reply to this message with a boiler plate copy and paste. And you can show the world that you actually care for our opinion for a change! 

Get to it my friend. Get to it.

PWPO24
New member | Level 2

I also like to be able to control images - I don't see the point in Photos - I like to use folders.

Not a fan of the recent updates BTW - my screen is now too busy for decent display of images.

KolbebubDE
New member | Level 2
Exclude individual folders in the Dropbox account from being indexed for the Photo tab. I am aware that the photo tab contains all photos from a Dropbox account. but there should be a way to close individual folders from there! similar to the android .nomedia! Not every directory with screenshots or similar should be visible in the photo tab! You should have the option to exclude directories from being displayed in the photo gallery
Mik3y
New member | Level 2

I agree, I would like to see an option on the folder to "exclude from timeline" or that effect.

For example, work photos, or folders with timelapses in them. 100's of photos appear in the timeline when a simple tick box could exclude them, clogging up the photo timeline which is a nice feature.

Thanks

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

25 votes received Status: Gathering Support