cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 Dropbox Not Syncing. The solution to make it work is to close it, and open it again.

Windows 11 Dropbox Not Syncing. The solution to make it work is to close it, and open it again.

devedsmith
Helpful | Level 5

Hello everyone,

I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else: Dropbox stops syncing on Windows 11. I have been working on this problem on and off for several days and none of the "known" solutions are working: after a few hours/day, Dropbox simply stops syncing. When I close Dropbox and re-open it, it's starts syncing normally again. Even if I pause syncing and resume, it's starts syncing again normally. But if I leave my PC unattended for a day or so, it stops entirely until it is restarted.

My bandwidth/Internet connection is excellent, there are no strange files/sizes, I'm on the latest version, all power-save settings are disabled, there are never any errors, I've been a paid Dropbox customer for over a decade without any significant issues. My account/payment is in good standing, I have removed and reinstalled the app, I have my folders on the local hard drive, firewall is default, everything is as it always has been - since Windows 11, Dropbox simply stops syncing. i.e. goes idle. At this moment, is is running, no crashes or errors, but it hasn't sync'd since yesterday and shows "Up to date" in the status.

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything that I should do differently?

Thank you!

David

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @devedsmith, happy Monday! 

So, just to recap everything you said: it seems that the app unexpectedly stops syncing content, and then only works when you close and then re-open the app, right? 

You mentioned you're using the latest version. Would you be able to clarify the version, just to make sure you're not using a beta, instead of our stable one? 

Also, when that happens, -when the app stops syncing- what do you notice in regards to the app's syncing status? Is it "up to date", "syncing", "indexing" or something different? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

devedsmith
Helpful | Level 5

Correct. This is version 179.4.4985. When it is idle and not syncing it shows "Up to date".

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @devedsmith, thanks for clarifying! 

So, if you keep the app open, and add a new file in your Dropbox folder -without closing the app- will it still say "up to date", without uploading the file online, and vice versa? 

Did you happen to notice how long this has been going on for? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

devedsmith
Helpful | Level 5
Correct. This has been happening for about 6 months maybe more.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @devedsmith! This is quite a strange behavior, indeed.

Can you let me know what’s the average number of files your local Dropbox folder contains at the moment? You can double check this by right clicking on your Dropbox folder directly and going to its Properties.

What do you see there? Feel free to send over a screenshot as well, if you prefer.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

kcrusco
New member | Level 2

This is happening to me as well and it is driving me crazy. It has been happening every since I upgraded to Windows 11. I have not updated by laptop and syncing works there fine if I am working on that but anything I save on my local desktop does not sync to dropbox. I need this feature to work. I can sometimes get it to work if I reboot but not always. Please help. I have also done everything that the OP said.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kcrusco  - sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let us know the version of the Dropbox desktop app installed on your computer and let us know when you first noticed this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

devedsmith
Helpful | Level 5

I'm on v195.4.4995

Windows 11 Pro

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @devedsmith, long time no talk, welcome back.

Did you have a chance to review Nancy's response here? I'm asking, because I'd also like to know the number of files that your Dropbox folder has. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    devedsmith Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    kcrusco New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?